If history is any indication, you can expect to contend with quite a bit of rain during the months of April and May. While it can be enjoyable to watch the rain fall from the comfort of your home, this isn’t typically the case when behind the wheel of your car.
Driving safely is easier said than done, especially when you take into consideration the fact that other drivers may not take the same level of caution.
Fortunately, there are a few simple steps you can take to improve your safety on the road when the rain begins to fall:
Even if you do nothing else, slowing your speed benefits you in many ways:
• Reduces the likelihood of hydroplaning
• Makes it easier to stop your vehicle in an emergency
• Provides more time to spot hazards, such as standing water
Slow down to a comfortable and safe level, all while paying close attention to your surroundings.
This is often overlooked, as you have so many other things to think about. There are two reasons why you want to use your headlights in the rain:
• It improves visibility, allowing you to see the road ahead, roadway hazards, other drivers and pedestrians
• It allows other drivers to more easily see your vehicle
Tip: don’t use your high beams, especially if the rain is accompanied by fog, as the bright light can reflect back into your eyes.
It goes without saying that you should always drive with two hands on the wheel, but this is even more important in rainy weather.
You never know when you’ll hit a puddle that causes you to lose control. You never know when you’ll have to make a quick adjustment to avoid trouble.
With your hands at 10 and 2, it’s much easier to maintain control of your vehicle, even in the most severe storms.
Along with the above, there are two more things to keep in mind:
• Proper vehicle maintenance is critical: For example, make sure your tires have enough tread and your windshield wipers are in good working condition.
• Pull over if necessary: You don’t have to drive in the rain. If you’re not comfortable doing so, pull to a safe place and wait for conditions to improve.
If you’re involved in an accident, seek immediate medical care and then contact your auto insurance agent or broker.
And of course, if you need help buying coverage to protect you against all the dangers of the road, don’t hesitate to contact us.